Artificial intelligence (AI) is a great investment in healthcare. It will reduce all kinds of errors and mistakes, through which healthcare can provide excellent services to patients. AI can be used to make health care simpler, starting from clinical diagnosis to medical treatments
Medical AI has a wide range of positive impacts on healthcare systems. The best part about medical AI is that it can save doctors’ time that they otherwise have to spend on other automatable duties.
Moreover, patients who need to re-visit the doctor for regular checkups wouldn’t have to carry any files anymore. Every detail can be stored as data, and the doctors can easily access it.
However, when discussing investing in AI for a vivid future in healthcare, we cannot ignore the roles played by chatbots and machine learning, so let’s dive deeper to learn them.
Time to consider AI-powered Machine Learning applications
As for the algorithms supported by Google, machine learning is supporting diverse sections of healthcare. So by using machine learning, it is possible to get accurate data outcomes, required resource allocation, and much more. Let’s check out some of the machine learning applications that are prominent in healthcare.
- Finding diseases and diagnosis – This application is crucial because it identifies hard-to-diagnose diseases. Anything from cancer to genetic diseases can be caught using this application.
- Medical imaging diagnosis – Computer vision technology is powered by both deep learning and machine learning. So the InnerEye initiative by Microsoft has given acceptance to computer vision, and also it works great for image analysis.
- Personalized medicine – Through personalized medicine, it is possible to offer effective services while researching more about disease assessment. With machine learning hitting the market, more biosensors and devices will come into play to treat patients excellently.
- Flare-up prediction – Machine learning and AI help the world to gather details of any kind of epidemic in no time. Therefore, any infectious or other outbreaks can be found and looked into quickly.
This is a major benefit for third-world countries as they don’t have the required medical infrastructure.
Significant Impacts of Chatbots in Healthcare
Now that you know the impacts of machine learning in healthcare, it’s time to check the significant role played by chatbots.
- Regular health monitoring – Healthcare providers always look forward to helping patients. Unfortunately, they don’t have enough time. But chatbots will provide 24/7 assistance while reminding, monitoring, and analyzing patient’s health state.
- High-speed information provider – Because of chatbots, physicians don’t have to spend time looking through patient’s records because chatbots will provide information in seconds.
- Developing the trust in patients – If patients are offered chatbot assistance when they are booking a doctor’s appointment, the level of trust can be enhanced. For example, some websites’ chatbots inquire about patients’ symptoms and then direct them to a specialist in a few minutes. This is what attracts patients rather than spending time online trying to book an appointment.
- Offering support and help – Medical institutions accommodate chatbots to help patients immediately. If patients need to check the availability of a specialist to clear doubts, they don’t have to call the hospital or clinic. Instead, they can use the help of chatbots to clear doubts.
Nevertheless, investing in AI for a vivid future in healthcare has privileges but not without its downsides.
Privileges of Investing in AI
AI decreases manual tasks while offering more time for physicians to focus on other important tasks. It enhances productivity and efficiency by helping to create a better healthcare system. Also, it is easy to gather information in volume without any delay.
Machine learning technology in healthcare can analyze a patients’ state and offer timely support details to the doctor. Thus, the doctor can decide whether the patient requires hospitalization or not. This will save time, effort, and the cost incurred by both the patient and the hospital. Similarly, timely identification of diseases will save many lives, as well.
Through AI, patients’ trust in medical services can be increased because AI offers consistent, quality, and reliable services. Even though AI can’t be a substitute for human doctors and nurses, it can help them perform better. Thus, doctors and nurses will become more confident and less stressed.
In addition, AI can increase workflow, reduce mistakes, avoid unnecessary costs, personalized treatments, and much more.
Downsides of Investing in AI
There is a considerable amount of criticism for AI in healthcare, and we can’t say it’s a hoax. As for research, there is a high chance of washing off jobs in healthcare by 2053 if AI dominates the market. But some believe that AI can increase the employment rate. However, what matters is that AI cannot show empathy or console Patients and their families as a human Doctor does.
Another downside of investing in AI is that losing the provider-patient interaction. When AI gets too involved in solving the issues of patients, it becomes less to no requirement for a face-to-face meeting with the doctor. This has the chance to break the traditional values carried by the healthcare system.
The deadliest downside of AI is data breaches. Investing in AI means the healthcare system needs to take extra measures to protect the privacy of patients’ data.
Nevertheless, a recent survey mentions that a higher percentage of patients are likely to continue with AI-powered tools in healthcare. This indicates that the patients trust AI despite its downside.
So it is apparent that AI looks like the backbone of digital transformation in healthcare. Despite its downsides, it is beginning to skyrocket. Hence, many healthcare systems providers are trying to makes sure to strengthen every healthcare organizations’ backbone, which is investing in AI.